08 April 2016

Keeping perspective

My last post mentioned the challenge here with work/life balance. That challenge has not diminished and I don't expect it to while I'm here. I've decided my best option is in attitude management and perspective. You know what helps with that? Bali.






At the hotel pool. Life is good.








I was a touch skeptical about Bali, because it's such a known tourist destination. And I'm positive the place was 10 times more magical 10, 20 years ago (where wasn't it better back in the day?). But despite the traffic and bustle and t-shirt shops...I was enchanted. 
Scooter rental: $3.75/day. Lev and I cruised the 'hood.

This is where we bought gas - grab an old vodka bottle
and fill 'er up by the liter!





















First, the respite from a Muslim-oriented culture was a welcome one. Maybe it was because I was on vacation, but I felt like there was more freedom of expression, more easy laughter...and of course cheaper alcohol. :) This is likely an unfair view, given my holiday mindset, but there ya have it.

Bali street

Temple time



I want this table. Huge pieces of art made from incredible slabs of tropical hardwood. 

Local temple in Semenyak

Rice fields
Most amazing about Bali, beyond the beckoning surf, bath-warm ocean and lush tropical flora, were the ornate temples and shrines everywhere. The entrance to a typical modest house will be a temple and courtyard. So cruising down any street is an exotic experience. Incense wafts in the air, offerings to the gods are placed on doorsteps each morning...it's something to behold.
We swam at the bottom of this waterfall...

The famous Potato Head Beach Club. Too 'bro' for me though...
love the name, can't say it's my scene. 
The woodwork was amazing. Lev is impressed.
At the same restaurant with our new friend and driver, Mr. Putu.
Note how we lounged on cushions rather than chairs.
This was the middle of a restaurant we were at, believe it or not.
The pavilion on the left was where we ate...they let it grow wild all around so it was jungle-like. 

Tranquility.




















Sadly, Anya and Lev both fell ill and we had back to back Dr. visits while we were there...but despite that, we all had a good time. I'd certainly like to go back. I'm pretty sure I could pop on some yoga clothes and have a groovy couple of years of tranquility there. :)

No comments: