22 March 2016

Work Life Balance?

The throne. 
Time flies and I see I haven't posted in a month. I'd love to say this is because we haven't been around, that we've been traipsing about SE Asia riding elephants and wrestling tigers. Alas, I've been glued to my computer screen as I struggle to find my stride in my new role during a very difficult quarter. There's some interesting bits involved with that, of course, such as a recent work event at the old Royal Palace. Interestingly, there are 9 sultans in Malaysia and they rotate for 5 year stints as the king. Who knew?

Lev in front of an old colonial hotel in the highlands. That's our "new" Honda behind him.
View from our room in the highlands

Malacca
Not that it's been all work and no play. Lev is becoming quite the kid-about-town with multiple birthday party invites each weekend. He also seems to be transforming into part fish, as he is at the pool daily. He's shed the life vest long ago and now enjoys dropping things to the bottoms of the pool and diving for them.






We've done a couple of weekend trips as well. For my birthday, Anya booked us some time in Fraser's Hill, which is up in the highlands. The temperature was a very pleasant 70-75F and we actually turned on a heater at night!

We had a hike trip to a waterfall that was longer than expected. Some young guys on motorcycles took pity on us and asked me if I could ride a bike. Before we knew it, he had hopped on the back of his friends bike and Anya, Lev and I piled on his motorcycle for a thrilling ride on a curvy jungle road to the waterfall. You never know what might happen when you are down for whatever.

Another trip we took was too an old colonial port called Malacca. There's some nice old-ish European architecture, great food and some interesting culture.
Just another bike ride in Malacca



Anya and Lev in Malacca

For St. Patrick's Day weekend, Anya and I got all dressed up and joined some of our neighbors for the 92nd annual Irish ball. This is a huge expat event in KL and I'm amused to see that we got written up in the local society wrag, Tattler. "Guests like....Nate Bucholz..." would imply that someone knows who Nate Bucholz is. Pretty amusing.

"Guests like....Nate Bucholz..." Whaa?
Here's the original link: http://my.asiatatler.com/events/st-patricks-society-ball-2016/5 

Before you start to feel too bad about my drudgery at work and brushes with paparazzi, I'm off to Bali on next week for a work event and Anya and Lev will fly out to see me for the following week. Some R&R is highly needed and I'm keen for some wave therapy.
Fraser's Hill - a cooler climate and old colonial retreat
We've invested in some jungle action for the balcony

No comments: